Proper nutrition and a healthy diet are very important because they may both bring lots of benefits and make a really harmful thing to a person. If to not consume enough products with a needed amount of vitamins, nutrients, and minerals, problems with blood pressure, weight, and overall well-being of everybody. But how to recognize those warning signals of vitamin deficiency and how to avoid this trouble that can lead to very harmful consequences? Read more in our article.
What are the symptoms of mineral and nutrient deficiency?
Luckily to all the worried people out there, it is indeed possible to prevent serious health issues and notice symptoms of deficiency in advance. There are some common nutrient deficiencies signs that are easy to notice, and ask for advice from a doctor on time. Here they are:
- Brittle hair and nails. This one is usually caused by the lack of biotin (one of the B vitamin in the body). It can also be followed by the trembling of hands and legs, muscle cramps, and constant fatigue;
- Wounds in the mouth corners and ulcers inside the mouth. These problems are mainly provoked by iron deficiency, as well as lack of vitamin B, which stimulates red blood cell production in people. It is a sign that you should start consuming such foods as poultry, meat, fish, whole grain, nuts, and seeds;
- Bleeding gums. It is not always caused by a rough technique of brushing your teeth; sometimes, not enough vitamin C is an answer. This vitamin plays a very important role in wound healing and preventing cell healing. To avoid that, fruit and vegetables should be present in your balanced diet daily; it will not only help with vitamin C level but also improve immune system strength;
- Dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. These problems are usually the result of itchy, flaking skin in a person. It is caused by zinc deficiency, as well as a lack of vitamin B12. In this case, oily fish, eggs, green vegetables, nuts, kidney beans, sweet potatoes, and seeds have to be added to the ration;
- Hair loss. For this issue, iron-rich foods, folic acid products, niacin, biotin containing foods should be consumed more often;
- White and red bumps on the skin are also known as keratosis pilaris. They look kind of like goosebumps and usually appear on the cheeks, arms, thighs, and buttocks. Sometimes, they can be accompanied by ingrown hairs. This problem is mainly characterized by the lack of vitamin A and C in a person; that is why such products as dairy, fish, meat, dark leafy greens, and yellow and orange-colored vegetables are necessary for daily healthy eating.
What to do if I have vitamin and mineral deficiencies?
First of all, to know precisely which essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals are needed for you, a blood test should be done in a clinic. That is important due to the fact that sometimes food is not enough to bring everything to a proper level; dietary supplements are often prescribed by a doctor depending on the problems a person has.
But for those who are wondering, here is a list of products that should be consumed when lacking a certain vitamin:
- Vitamin D deficiency. Foods rich with vitamin D levels include fatty fish, liver, mushrooms, soy milk, skim milk, fortified milk, etc.;
- Vitamin E. For this one, a diet rich with such foods is required – dark green leafy vegetables, avocado, almonds, broccoli, kiwi, shellfish, etc.;
- Vitamin A. People with a lack of this vitamin should eat more carrot, pumpkin, peas, broccoli, and sweet potatoes;
- Vitamin C. Here, everything is pretty simple – citrus fruit (lime, lemon, orange, etc.), guava, kiwi, berries, tomatoes, and cabbage;
- Vitamin B12. This one is very important because it is responsible for the creation of red blood cells, as well as a strong nervous system. Consume more beef, lamb, poultry, shellfish, oily fish, eggs, and low-fat dairy.
Those are the basic ones. But we will repeat – if you feel or notice any signs of vitamin deficiencies, a blood test and a consultation with a professional are required! Do not try independent treatment; usually, patients make everything even worse.
Check on your health more often and take proper care of yourself. Vitamin deficiency is a problem every other person on the planet Earth is facing at certain points in life. If to take care of on time, all bad symptoms may be treated quickly and without any complications afterward. Your health – is your priority, so pumper yourself and do not forget about healthy eating regime. Good luck!